The Virtual Home of TreeSprite & Friends
Rules | FAQ | Search | Members | Register
Groups | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

The Grove

Take flight on the wings of your imagination and become yourself. Reality is what you make it.

The Grove, it's recent upset, and it's future direction...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TreeSprite's Grove Forum Index -> Stones of Knowledge - Announcements & Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TreeSprite
Nymph (Admin)
Nymph (Admin)

AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:21 am     Reply with quote
Post subject: The Grove, it's recent upset, and it's future direction...

As admin of this forum, I have been thinking long and hard about what I am going to do about what has happened here of late. Though I haven't come up with a solution that entirely satisfies me as yet I do have some ideas what I'd like to see happen, and how to deal with all of this.

As you all know, I'm all for having fun, and I had a (I think) unique idea that what everyone does in the role play should shape the forum. Now, this hasn't gone so well of late and I'm trying to work out both why, and what to do so that everyone, or at least a majority, can be happy here. This especially concerns me because I have seen many of you as friends, and I would enjoy continuing to have fun with you, but not at the expense of the fun and comfortable establishment of my trusted real life friends, family, and moderators.

It is a tough job that I have here. And it's at times been extremely stressful. Having so many people in one place and keeping them all as happy as possible has it's sticky points. I know we can't all see eye to eye, but somewhere somehow there has to be some set of rules or circumstances that allows for us all to have a good time. I had thought that my rules were sufficient, and that they were quite straightforward and easy to follow. Now I am questioning that, as well as should there be less rules or perhaps more, or maybe just different ones...

It seems apparent however, that the status quo just isn't working for everyone; least of all me. And what depresses the heck out of me about that is that this place was meant to be one where I could have some fun. Sad Fun has not been the order of the day lately.

It is my profound wish that the membership gather here in my place of sanctuary from Role Play, and post answer if possible to the following questions:

1.) What does this place mean to you?
2.) How do you see the time you have spent here?
3.) If you were in my situation.. i.e. the moderator of my forum, and site, how would you handle this difficulty between the members?
4.) What rules would you keep, and what toss?
5.) What rules would you add, if any?
6.) How would you handle the concept of the role play as it concerns the membership?
7.) If the forum were revamped, would you like to start over with a clean slate?
8.) If the forum were revamped, what forums, categories, sections and posts would you keep?
9.) Do you have suggestions or ideas that aren't covered by my above questions?
And most importantly;
10.) Do you still want to play here in this place, or is this just another place in a string of sites that you visit, and you could give a fig whether it's here or not?

P.S. I have unbanned The Dark Psycho's account so that he may post and give his opinion if he wishes.

P.P.S. Please post here with your own opinion, and do not let the opinions of others distress you in this posting. Simply read what everyone wishes, and respond only to my questions so there won't be any flaming or arguments. I wish this to be a serious discussion, of the opinions of my members.

Those who cannot abide by my wishes for peace in my topic here, please refrain from bothering to post so that peace will reign. For if you do not, you will be immediately and permanently banned from my site.

Christine Knight
a.k.a. TreeSprite, Cthulu, and the Wellness Willow.
Back to top TreeSprite
The groves were God's first temples.
~William Cullen Bryant, A Forest Hymn~
Shaon
Sapling
Sapling

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:58 am     Reply with quote
Post subject:

I'm going to try and answer these as honestly as possible.
1.) What does this place mean to you? I see here as a place of roleplaying. I enjoy playing here, and the recent upset made me think I would have to leave here forever.
2.) How do you see the time you have spent here? I have mixed feelings about here. Reading the archives I felt this place was just as it was ment, a fun place to roleplay. But more recently I've been torn, half of me following my friends and half of me interested in this, wanting to see how it would go on.
3.) If you were in my situation.. i.e. the moderator of my forum, and site, how would you handle this difficulty between the members? Hmm... I really honestly can't tell you. Most forums I moderate aren't like this at all.
4.) What rules would you keep, and what toss? I would keep all of them, exept the odd "No more roleplaying outside of The Far Meadow." rule.
5.) What rules would you add, if any? None.
6.) How would you handle the concept of the role play as it concerns the membership? Wow. All this is confuzzling mee. I guess...erm...skip'd!
7.) If the forum were revamped, would you like to start over with a clean slate? Iono. I guess I would, as I have some *ahem* embassassing starter posts...
8.) If the forum were revamped, what forums, categories, sections and posts would you keep? I guess all of them.
9.) Do you have suggestions or ideas that aren't covered by my above questions? No.
And most importantly;
10.) Do you still want to play here in this place, or is this just another place in a string of sites that you visit, and you could give a fig whether it's here or not? Yes, I care about this site. It is one of the two (EC boards being the other) sites I visit regularly.

Thanks for reading this,
Conor Coderre,
aka Shaon Galatea.
Dark_Psycho202
El Stupido Supremo
El Stupido Supremo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:41 am     Reply with quote
Post subject:

It used to be a place of fun. But lately, it's been fustrating, even at the best of times. Fustrating because it feels that when I try to work with the Admin's and mod's, they view me as some subordinate instead of an equal, and in order for the EC to have any hope of co-existing here, I really do need to considered an equal. Example of when I felt this way: The Fire RP's end. I thought I dealt with Shaon's powerplay rather effectively, with a twist of irony, too. (who as a member of the EC fell under what the EC considered my jurisdiction) But Treesprite felt that it wasn't enough, and as so went above my head and locked the topic and launched the associated poll. Yep, that made me feel pretty fustrated.
Overall, worth it. I must say even now there is a part of me that is sad to leave this place.
3.) If you were in my situation.. i.e. the moderator of my forum, and site, how would you handle this difficulty between the members?
Set up a specific place for dealing with difficulties, and don't hide the fact that this is what it's used for. On the EC forums, I move topics i feel don't belong rather often, and I hope that the next headmaster would do the same. If something turns into an RP, move it to the RP section.
Definately the one limiting RP'ing.
None
6.) How would you handle the concept of the role play as it concerns the membership?
Maybe set up a tradition of dual identities: Have one account for you character, and another for yourself.
7.) If the forum were revamped, would you like to start over with a clean slate? Mostly: Keep The old Cthulu RP and the Fire RP, and associated subtopics.
8.) If the forum were revamped, what forums, categories, sections and posts would you keep?
See answer above.
Nein
10.) Do you still want to play here in this place, or is this just another place in a string of sites that you visit, and you could give a fig whether it's here or not? As I said before, I will be sad to leave this place, but it is time me and the Grove went our seperate ways.

Rodney (last name withheld)
aka The Dark Psycho
Back to top The Dark Psycho, Dark Prince of Psychotopia
"...For Truth, Insanity, and the Psychotopian way of Life!"
Visit us at The Republic of Psychotopia
netdroid9
Twig
Twig

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:10 am     Reply with quote
Post subject:

1.) What does this place mean to you? A place of the imagination, where things in the outside world don't affect things.
2.) How do you see the time you have spent here? I feel it was and still is worth it.
3.) If you were in my situation.. i.e. the moderator of my forum, and site, how would you handle this difficulty between the members? I don't really know, but I wouldn't let the mods alter an EC headmaster election. And I would investigate this '11 votes for Mira Shatterstar business'. I mean, 11 votes in one night? I don't think there has ever been a poll in the history of the EC, the CC and the grove that had that many votes at once. Especially since she wasn't even on the poll in the first place. Very suspicious if you ask me. EDIT: I see you've already investigated it... Smile.
4.) What rules would you keep, and what toss? Probably the 'No RPing rule'.
5.) What rules would you add, if any? None, I guess. I suppose that people wouldn't be able to hijack a thread for the purpose of RPing, though. And starting an RP in the wrong forum is a bad idea, but just RPing an action and stuff seems ok to me. Basically: Keep the serious RPing in the Serios RP section Smile.
6.) How would you handle the concept of the role play as it concerns the membership? Most of the members are RPers. But it doesn't matter if they RP or not, so long as they can post properly.
7.) If the forum were revamped, would you like to start over with a clean slate? That depends, so long as the old forum remains open so that others can see the history of other members.
8.) If the forum were revamped, what forums, categories, sections and posts would you keep? Everything. Except that 'Blight' section. It can have it's own forum.
9.) Do you have suggestions or ideas that aren't covered by my above questions? Well, I don't like people takeing over another groups forum. ESPECIALLY since they didn't even bother cleaning it up. I mean come on, if you're going to take over a forum, and a group, when you could just as easilly make your own, without deleting all the EC's topics, you could at least eject all the members and make your own group discription.
10.) Do you still want to play here in this place, or is this just another place in a string of sites that you visit, and you could give a fig whether it's here or not? I enjoy RPing here, it's one of the few places I got to that involves Roleplaying. It's even number two on my links bar!
twstdtink
Sapling
Sapling

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:17 am     Reply with quote
Post subject:

In the end Treesprite it really doesn't matter what we think. As I've said on our forum, I'll say again... This is a bad marriage. You're unhappy. We're feeling oppressed. It's been a lose/lose situation for awhile now. We don't want that!

In all honesty, the theme you set for your forum originally (Creatures) tends to attract those who like to RP and tend to be on a less serious scale. If you don't like the type of people your forum is attracting or the actions that take place in it... Perhaps a revamp is in order for your own benefit.

The EC will be more than fine... Honestly. Thank you, for what it's worth.

Cristen
AKA Twstdtink
Kat_05
Sage
Sage

Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:44 pm     Reply with quote
Post subject:

It's a place to talk to some of my (few) internet friends. As a forum rather than a chat, there's no pressure to be instantly witty, and the peope here are friends, so it's fun chatting. There's also a bit of sentimental value, as well. After all, this place was refuge when the DS forum ended!
Enjoyable.Little stress-killers like this are what keeps a person from spontaneous combustion. However, lately the time spent here is a link to online friends, as the problems here are, well, problems.
Firstly, revamp the rules and "sticky" them [ask for extension]. Punish as needed, but be public only as a last resort. Also, as long as the RPs aren't blatant (Example: *falls headfirst into example*), let them be. This is an RP forum more than anything, and the people here have made their personalities based on their RP characters. If my opinion matches my RP status (like a member of the EC) so be it. I'm not about to change my opinion on something because of it. Stuff like that DOES affect how I feel about topics/posts, and if you don't like it-to bad.
There'll be a new post soon, once the rules have been gone over. (Muahahaha...)
See question 4
Have an RP section, obviously, and invite members to create topics that mirror the issues that are talked about. Cross-posting is okay, as long as it's limited to one other topic. Quotes are appreciated here, but it's understandable that quote's wouldn't cover the general feeling of a member, such as those expressed on the original topic/other topic/etc. Also note the response to question 3.
7.) If the forum were revamped, would you like to start over with a clean slate?
Yes. Save the creature forum however, as those were abandoned before all of this trouble. Hopefully some stragglers will notice it.
Destroy the "grass-waving" topic and those related. Actually, delete all topics in Far Meadow. Then re-post the games for a fresh start. Clear all other areas except the creatures, old EC Cave, and literature(such as stories/Brayen's bush)/(scrapbook)photo posts. Also save the intros.
Be more active as an admin, or appoint ONE other person as another admin (Brayen, probably). Obviously you have the final say, but you're hardly ever here Sprite. Mods are well and good, but one leader would cut through a lot of problems. Make a second in command, basically.
And most importantly;
10.) Do you still want to play here in this place, or is this just another place in a string of sites that you visit, and you could give a fig whether it's here or not
Of course I want to stay. Otherwise I would have left already. As such, I could give a fig (even a lime!) whether this site exists to go to. This doesn't change the fact that I still bow to TreeSprite on this, and if this site is so horrible to upkeep, I fully expect a warning and then the site to be taken down. However, I've been taking breaks as to avoid getting in the quarrrels that are so common lately. Hopefully that doesn't become anymore of a habit.
Back to top If a woman possesses manly virtues one should run away from her; and if she does not possess them she runs away from herself.
Tigger89
Tree
Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:15 pm     Reply with quote
Post subject:

To me, this is a place to talk with some of my friends from the creatures days. I guess just to talk, have random conversations, and play forum games. I enjoyed the bits of the RPs that I could get in, but as I keep getting myself grounded it's difficult to stay around long enough to actually get anything done. Sad
I'm actually rather embaressed by how I acted when I first came here, but I think that I've matured a lot and had some interesting conversations and experiences(ie, learning that the goats were actually cookies and not animals, being eaten by cthulu(I don't remember what I did, but I do remember my rank disspearing)), and just all sorts of crazy random discussions. I think that the time I've spent here(little as it may have been recently) has been well-spent, and I'd be sorry to see the grove go.
I'm in no place to say. I don't understand the half of it, something about powerplaying and a lot of people not being happy. This is what happens when you leave and come back.
See above answer.
See above.
I wish I understood the entire story, but I'm missing entire peices. Just ignore questions 3-6 for me.
Yes, I think so.
General chat, games/RP, writing and art forums(I'm still not added, but it really doesn't matter now so nobody go knock yourselves out over it), and that's really all off the top of my head.
Not really. I guess just that this is your spot that you created, and ultimately it's not what we want, it's what you want. Don't do something that you hate just to keep us happy.
And most importantly;
10.) Do you still want to play here in this place, or is this just another place in a string of sites that you visit, and you could give a fig whether it's here or not?
I do. I visit it every day that I'm not grounded and that the internet is working, and I hope that the differences between the members can be sorted out so that we can have fun here again. Like we used to. Weeping
Back to top "Live every day like it's your last"
-Matthew Brann
Items of no Interest weblog
UncleAsriel
Sapling
Sapling

Status: Somewhere in Canada, trying to prevent the Old One from returning. Just not where you are.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:19 pm     Reply with quote
Post subject:

1.) This place was a refuge from the fall of the Creatures Community. I was quite confused after the fall, and I had assumed that most of the people I had know had left. Then, a little e-mail from Treesprite caught my attention, asking me to post my "How to build a Capillata" rant. I did so in part after signing up, and I've continued to frequent here ever since. (The Capillata is on permanent hiatus, but a recent rerwirte has already been done.)
2.) I've grown fond of the Grove. Just like the old CC forums, without all of the extra wackiness running around. (although that is debatable, what with DP combating the mutant chicken scourge and all Wink
3.) This is difficult to answer. In truth, I can't say for certain since I'm not in the administrator's shoes. I would try to reach a compromise so that everyone feels fairly comfortable. This is easier said than done, of course, but nevertheless I would try. I don't know for sure, but the Evil Council may have a point when TreeSprite said that she would lock up the Evil Council forums "in order to possibly flush out said perpetrator." This seems a little harsh. However,you did mention that Mira recieved "a nasty letter from DP" which could explain for the sudden leap to action. I don't know all the evidence, so I couldn't pass judgement if I were the admin. All that I know I would do would be to ensure we all see as close to eye to eye as possible.
4.) So far, the rules seem pretty just. I wouldn't complain about much.
5.) No smoking in the restrooms. In all seriousnes, though, I can't think of anything other than stressing the simple rule of thumb which everyone should try and follow: Tkink, before you type. The people who will be reading the post are people. They lead their own lives, they go to school, work, have families and friends. Even those who are in character most of the time (e.g. Mira Shatterstar) have a personality which is completely different to the version we get online.Yes, they can be downright annoying at times, but behind every person there is a soul. If everyone respected that (especially those in character) then we'd not have nearly as many problems.
6.) If people are posting a roleplay in a non-rp topic, there are two things that can be done. One involves the poster. First off, they could avoid it completely. Secondly, if they do post in a non-RP topic, they could post "RP: Whatever the RP is about" in the subject heading, then maybe we could avoid the slippery slope problem. The other method would invole a reminder from the moderator to not RP in serious conversation.
7.) Not terribly. There is a lot of Creatures and Not-So-Creatures history on here. I'd like to see some of it kept.
8.) More or less the same. The Fire RP was a great way to change the Grove
around, and I like the new layout. Maybe some of the like poetry shouldn't be locked out, however, since it is irritating to have to sign up just to read a poem for fun.
9.) I can't think of any off the top of my head. If I do, I'll contact the mods.
10.) YES! I've come to know too many people to let it all go like that. I'm going to be a part of the Grove for quite some time to come, and although I might be away for a bit (e.g. This summer when I go to Nova Scotia for a month) I hope I'll have a place here.
~I am the Emperor of overly long posts!~
Kat_05
Sage
Sage

Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:57 am     Reply with quote
Post subject:

General Rules
1.) Always treat others with respect.
2.) No Obscenity, Harassment, Fraud, Spam, Excessive Rudeness , or General Obnoxiousness.
3.) No blinking, obscene, suggestive, nude, harassing, drugs, or contraband avatars.
4.) Do not take credit for material that doesnít belong to you. If you didnít make something or were not part of the team that did, donít post it as yours!
5.) Do not purposefully circumvent the Language Filters. All content must follow a G/PG-13 rating.

Mind Your Manners
Personal attacks are not only hurtful to the people involved, but are also unfair to the other members of the group. Postings that include a personal attack or slight directed toward anyone will be immediately edited, or deleted. ALL members (regardless of rank) who post such will be warned only once before action is taken. Punishments shall be progressively worse, ending with a permanent ban.

Post to the Proper Forum
Although all topics of discussion are welcome (so long as they follow a G/PG-13 rating), the forums are divided into subjects that are both welcome on the forum, and generally the most talked about. If you see a forum that fits your topic, post there. The forums are divided and set out as follows:

Update as the Forum changes

Remember Private Messaging
Members have two options when posting. You may respond to a member via the forum, or personally. (emphasize!->)Please remember group etiquette either way.

Hmmm, seems the rules are pretty good. Maybe they just need to be followed more.
Back to top If a woman possesses manly virtues one should run away from her; and if she does not possess them she runs away from herself.
TreeSprite's Grove Forum Index
Stones of Knowledge - Announcements & Rules